Post Doctoral Research Fellow Level 1 (PD1) - Social Science - FAIRshare (Temporary)
|Rural Economy and Development Centre, Teagasc, Mellows Campus, Athenry, Co Galway, H65 R718|
|Salary: Post Doc (Level 1) with a Salary Scale of €36,302 to €40,221|
|Research||Temporary Full Time|
|Closing Date: 06/04/2020||Closing Time: 12:00|
Background to the Role:
The Teagasc post-doctoral programme provides training and development opportunities for early career scientists that enhances their experience of learning and equips them with the necessary skills for the next stage of their chosen career in research.
The FAIRshare project, funded by the European Commission Horizon 2020 programme & coordinated by Teagasc, is an inter-disciplinary, multi-actor project that aims to generate new knowledge about how electronic data generation, analytics and communication technologies potentially enable more accurate, faster and better decision-making on farms. The project will engage, enable and empower the independent farm advisor community, through sharing of tools, expertise and motivations. The FAIRshare 'living lab’ will enable advisors to address challenges to embedding digital tools in different advisory and farming contexts across the EU. Special focus will be on co-designing powerful communication and engagement approaches for advisors to advocate and inspire their peers and farmer clients, driving a social movement for the wider and better use of digital tools.
The successful candidate with be based at the Department of Spatial Analysis and Agri-Food Innovation at Teagasc’s Rural Economy and Development Programme (REDP). The mission of the Rural Economy and Development Programme (REDP) is to enhance the quality of life in rural Ireland, thus contributing to the achievement of Teagasc’s key goals of Competitiveness and Innovation in the Agri-Food Sector, Sustainable Systems of Agriculture and Rural Viability. Currently, there are over 80 members of research staff and post-graduates students based at Teagasc’s Athenry Campus. The successful candidate will work closely with EU-wide partners of the FAIRshare consortium
Basic Function of the Role:
This is a research focused training role, the primary purpose of which is to provide early career scientists with the opportunity to develop their research skills and competencies.
The PD Fellow will, while working in conjunction with senior research staff, gain insight and experience to a variety of areas including the processes of project and budgetary management, publishing in peer-reviewed academic journals, writing grant applications, and attracting external funding; the development of active collaboration with relevant national and international research communities; the development of communication and presentation skills, leadership and management skills, and overall career development.
Modules will be conducted under the supervision and direction of Áine Macken-Walsh or other designated manager in conjunction with the Head of Department.
Duties & Responsibilities specific to this project:
- To undertake field research and analyse data.
- To interpret research findings and prepare scientific and popular press publications.
- To disseminate research findings to a variety of audiences as appropriate.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities:
- To assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service Charter and Action Plan.
- To comply with all relevant Teagasc policies and procedures.
- Fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations. This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
- To actively participate in the Teagasc Post Doctoral Fellowship programme and review processes, and to undertake all Post Doctoral fellowship training and associated duties as agreed in the Training & Development Plan.
- To take up additional duties as they may arise and be assigned by management.
- PhD in Social Science or related discipline.
- Relevant research experience not to exceed 3 years’ post-PhD.
- Demonstrated research and technical expertise in case study research.
- Evidence of research activity (publications, conference presentations, awards) and future scholarly output (working papers, research proposals etc).
- Excellent project management, analytical, report writing and data analysis skills.
- An ability to collaborate with team members and PhD students to help build research knowledge and skill and to guide professional development.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, presentation) with an ability to enable effective knowledge and technology transfer.
- Ability to generate new ideas, unique concepts, models and solutions.
- Experience in case study research.
- Experience of digitalisation in agricultural contexts.
- Experience in setting own research agenda.
- Evidence of teamwork and collaboration with relevant partners.
Already a member of our Talent Pool? Login here to Apply
Join our Talent Pool + submit your application